Little Sun is dedicated to designing and delivering affordable clean energy solutions and inspiring people to take climate action. Founded by the contemporary artist Olafur Eliasson and engineer Frederik Ottesen, Little Sun “puts the power of the sun in your hands” through a suite of artfully-designed solar devices, livelihood programs and renewable energy and climate advocacy efforts. Little Sun products make light and safety possible for refugees, help students extend study hours in areas without electricity, and allow public health workers to charge their phones in remote locations, among others.
After ten years in operation, Little Sun has distributed over one million solar powered products globally and is a global leader in emotionally engaging communications on renewable energy. We are embarking on an ambitious new strategy which will take the organization deeper in select countries (especially, Senegal and Zambia) to support families and communities to move up the energy access ladder by using solar power for agriculture, small-scale enterprise and healthcare.
Little Sun complements our product distribution and field programs with communications campaigns to inspire action on renewable energy and climate change.
Reporting to the country CEO, the incumbent will be responsible for a range of project development activities. S/he will assist senior management in raising finance, project management and procurement for productive use projects. The position will be based in Lusaka.
Project & Business Planning Manager responsibilities are
- Identifying development opportunities in line with the company goals and overall development objectives.
- Creation of business cases for each development opportunity to present to senior management.
- Management of project development and reporting of progress to senior management.
- Negotiation of property agreements with landowner(s) to give us appropriate rights to develop our projects.
- Stakeholder engagement and securing all third-party consents necessary to build and operate our projects.
- Jointly with the country CEO, preparation of applications to secure funding from lenders, investors and/or joint venture parties needed to build our projects.
- Work with senior management to identify the optimum exit strategy or long-term investment strategy for each development opportunity and each individual project as may be necessary.
- Complete work on several projects within strict deadlines through effective time management.
- Manage projects and associated budgets.
- Communicate with clients, landowners, JV partners, stakeholders and the project team effectively and professionally.
- Build strong working relationships (both internally and externally).
- Effectively manage sub-contractors to ensure timely delivery of works and value for money.
- Undertake critical reviews of third party reports.
- Communicate progress to your line manager at agreed intervals; and
- Follow our internal processes and procedures.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in business development and operations.
- Prior experience with raising capital/financing
- Postgraduate degree in Business Administration
- Strong understanding of project management and use of relevant applications
- An entrepreneurial mind-set and a strategic thinker.
- Exceptional leadership, business and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent persuasion skills, a good networker and a good negotiator.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- An existing network of contacts within the sector.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and presentation skills.
- A desire to work in a challenging, fast paced environment;
- Ability to work under pressure.
Please submit your letter of motivation, your CV with salary expectations and your earliest possible starting date by 31 March 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org.